Can I Transfer My Homestead Exemption?



Video Summary

Can a homestead exemption be transferred to another piece of property? The simple answer is no, you cannot. However, when you purchase a different property you can apply for a homestead exemption on that property. If you sell your property after January 1 of a year in which you have homesteaded your property, the purchaser of the property will benefit from your homestead exemption for that calendar year.

You can, however, transfer your "Save Our Homes" assessed value to another home in the state of Florida. This process can be complicated but we would be happy to help. Please call us at (727) 847-2288.